Disclosure: GoodLuckMate.com is reader-supported. We may earn commissions if you play through links on our site.
Hungary online casinos
The gambling regulations in Hungary are among the strictest in Europe. Gambling is legal, and there’s a local gambling license to be had, but very few online casinos are actually eligible to obtain this license. However, the rules imposed by the Hungarian government may or may not be legally enforceable because they may conflict with the EU regulations that are meant to ensure an open market with fair trade between the different EU member states. So, whatever is going to happen is, at the moment, a matter that’s up to the court systems in both Hungary and the EU to decide.As things stand now, though, there are plenty of Hungarian online casino options for you to choose from. Some casinos are licensed by the local gambling authorities to operate in the country, and others are regulated through international licenses. The third option, which is not recommended, is gambling online at a casino without a license.
- Many game categories — all with a good selection
- Site works equally well from desktop and mobile
- Four different bonuses to choose from
- More than 200 games with progressive jackpots
- Secure casino with an excellent reputation in the industry
- Lots of great games
- Excellent live casino
- Bitcoin accepted
- 24-hour support
- Mobile web design
- Play with bitcoin or traditional currencies
- More than 2800 casino games
- Support through live chat, email and social media
- Free no deposit bonus when you sign up
- Licensed by Curacao eGaming
- Choose from 3 different welcome bonuses
- Play Casino, Live Casino, and Odds
- Secure casino licensed by MGA
- Good help page with FAQ and 24/7 support
- Great mobile casino for both mobile and tablet
Finding the best Hungarian casino online
Which operator offers the very best online casino in Hungary is not a question that is easily answered. It all depends on what you’re looking for. You should try to determine which games you want to try, whether you want a casino that’s geared towards low rollers or high rollers, and, of course, which bonus options you’d like to have. In addition, there are several other questions you should ask yourself before you try to decide which online casino you want to sign up and play at. Some of the questions you’ll need to consider are as follows:
- Does the casino offer a Hungarian website, or will you have to use an English site?
- Is it possible to gamble using HUF, or will you have to use a different currency?
- What about cryptocurrencies? Does the casino support bitcoin or other crypto for deposits and withdrawals?
- Will you be eligible to claim any bonuses for signing up or making your first deposit, and is there a good loyalty program for Hungarian players?
- Where is the casino licensed? Do they have a Hungarian gambling license, or will you be playing under another a license from another jurisdiction?
If you want to zone in on the best Hungarian casino as quickly as possible, then you’re in the right place. GoodLuckmate has already compiled a complete list of all the available options. This should make it fast and easy for you to compare the different options open to you and choose the one that suits you best.
Hungarian gambling regulation
In Hungary it is, in theory, possible for iGaming companies to obtain a gambling license, but in reality, it’s almost a monopoly. To get a license, a company first needs to have a land-based presence, such as a casino, and second, they need to have had a good reputation in the country for a minimum of 10 years. It goes without saying that these are conditions most online casinos aren’t able to comply with. These somewhat unfair regulations are the root of the ongoing legal battles between iGaming companies and the Hungarian regulators.
Since the gambling authorities in Hungary are all but blocking online casinos based in other countries from entering the market, these rules might not stand up in court. This is why online casinos that use licenses from other member states in the European Union, such as Malta, have so far been able to allow Hungarians to sign up. If you choose to play at a casino that’s not licensed in Hungary, but in Malta or Gibraltar instead, you’ll still be protected while you’re playing, not by Hungary, but rather by the regulations of the jurisdiction that issued the gambling license.
Casino in Hungary
Since a land-based presence is needed to obtain a local gambling license, there are a lot of land-based options for you to choose from when you’re in this country and you want to gamble. In Budapest alone, there are 5 casinos you can visit, as long as you’re 18 years of age or older, which is by the way, also the legal age limit for online gambling. Gambling online is also possible, and you’ll have even more options if you choose this option.
There are hundreds of casinos online that are ready to accept new players from Hungary, and most of them will even reward you with a bonus for registering and making your first deposit. The bonuses offered are perhaps the biggest reason most players prefer to gamble online rather than at physical casinos, along with the ease and convenience of it all. Online, it doesn’t matter if you want to gamble for 5 minutes, an hour or even several hours at a time, since you can enter and leave the casino in one or two clicks. This is, without a doubt, easier and more convenient than playing at land-based casinos, not least of all because there’s no dress code online!